GENERAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY
FOODBIOMES (hereinafter referred to as the “Research Infrastructure”) is a research infrastructure in Greece that aims to support research, education and innovation in the agri-food sector by exploring the potential of microbiome applications in food systems. FOODBIOMES is a project at this stage and is implemented with the contribution of the University of Ioannina, the Aegean University, the Ionian University of Greece and the Democritus University of Thrace which acts as the coordinator of the partnership.
The Research Infrastructure deals with the protection of Personal Data with respect and as a matter of utmost importance. In this context, the present Policy has been drafted in accordance with Article 13 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 to inform you on how Personal Data is collected and processed by the Research Infrastructure.
This Policy applies to the Personal Data of natural persons of the following categories:
- representatives and employees of the Research Infrastructure’s Bodies
- members of Committees set up by the Research Infrastructure
- participants in symposia, workshops, and market surveys organized by the Research Infrastructure
- representatives and employees of companies and organisations cooperating with the Research Infrastructure
- applicants requesting access to the Research Infrastructure
- recipients of the Research Infrastructure’s services
- users of the Research Infrastructure
- visitors of the website foodbiomes.eu
How Personal Data is Collected
The collection of Personal Data may be performed when you:
- submit an application to use the Research Infrastructure’s services
- submit an application to participate in the Research Infrastructure’s actions
- participate in the Research Infrastructure’s actions
- submit a request to receive updates regarding the Research Infrastructure’s activities
- use the Research Infrastructure’s services
- visit the Research Infrastructure’s website
Especially your email address may also be collected from your company’s site, business social accounts and in general, from any communication material, where your email has been published.
Categories of Personal Data Collected by the Research Infrastructure
The Research Infrastructure may collect the following Personal Data of natural persons:
Full name, father’s name, mother’s name, tax identification number, assigned tax office, signature, identity or passport number, postal address, phone number, email address, bank account number, debit or credit card number, job position, data from the use of electronic services (such as Google Analytics, IP etc.), personal information related to contractual obligations when downloading services, photos/video, CVs.
Purpose and Lawfulness of Processing
The Research Infrastructure process data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 679/2016 and the applicable national legislation:
- where processing is necessary for the performance of a contract and in particular for the provision of services, the execution of contract requirements and the implementation of the Research Infrastructure’s activities (Article 6 (1) (b)),
- where processing is necessary for compliance with its statutory obligations (Article 6(1)(c)),
- with the prior consent from the subjects to communicate with them in order to enhance promotion and networking of the Research Infrastructure (Article 6(1)(a)),
- where processing is necessary to protect the Research Infrastructure’s legitimate interests (Article 6(1)(3)).
Recipients of Personal Data
The staff of the Democritus University of Thrace, the University of Ioannina, the Aegean University and the Ionian University that works on FOODBIOMES Research Infrastructure shall have access to the Personal Data in order to perform the tasks assigned to them.
The Research Infrastructure shall disclose the Data Subject’s Personal Data to public authorities to fulfill its duty for the public interest where legally obligated to do so or to serve its legitimate interests. The Research Infrastructure may also share Personal Data with public and private bodies (such as Universities, other Research Infrastructures, companies) but also on its website in order to evaluate the subject’s request, meet contractual obligations towards the subject, evaluate the subject’s request and execute the subject’s request.
Any further transfer of Personal Data to third countries and international organisations shall take place in accordance with the relevant provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation or upon consent of data subjects, where required.
The Research Infrastructure may also delegate the provision of services to natural or legal persons, in the framework of which Personal Data is processed on its behalf. In that case, such persons may carry out only the specific processing assigned to them under a contract or other legal act and shall be committed to protection of Personal Data.
Links to Websites
Links to other websites may be included in the Research Infrastructure’s website which are not managed by the Research Infrastructure; therefore, the Research Infrastructure bears no responsibility for the content or data management policy of these websites. Users shall have access to these websites exclusively at their own risk.
The Research Infrastructure shall process Personal Data in a way that ensures their protection, taking all appropriate organisational and technical measures (such as appropriate training of personnel, back-ups of electronic files, control of access to electronic systems and facilities) for their safety and protection against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure or access and any other form of unlawful processing.
The Research Infrastructure’s website (www.foodbiomes.eu) uses Google Analytics, which is a web analytics service of Google Ireland Ltd (“Google”). Google Analytics uses a specific type of cookies, which are stored on the user’s computer and enable analysis of the website use. Information about the use of the website generated by cookies is generally transmitted and stored on a Google server in the US.
Google Analytics has expanded to this website to include the code “gat._anonymizeIp” in order to ensure anonymous recording of IP addresses (so-called IP masking). Due to the IP anonymisation, the IP address is shortened by Google within the territory of the EU and the Member States of the European Economic Zone. Only in exceptional circumstances will the full IP address be transmitted to a Google server in the US and shortened there.
Google uses this information to analyse the use of the website for the purpose of compiling reports regarding the activities on the website and providing additional services related to the use of the website and the Internet. The IP address transmitted from your browser to Google Analytics is not combined with other Google data.
The Research Infrastructure uses Google Analytics to analyze and improve the use of the website www.foodbiomes.eu. In addition, information on the functionality of the website is collected (for example to detect any browsing problems).
Retention Period of Personal Data
Personal Data shall be retained for the time period necessary to achieve the purpose of the all processing carried out on them.
Where Personal Data are processed under a legal obligation, the retention time shall be determined according to the legal requirements, the period during which audits may be carried out by the competent authorities, the specified limitations of rights and actions, as well as the legitimate interests of the natural person.
In cases where the processing of Personal Data is based on consent, the retention time is determined by the possibility to withdraw consent. In case of withdrawal of consent, the relevant Personal Data shall also be deleted.
Rights of Subjects
According to the General Data Protection Regulation, data subjects have the following rights:
- right to information on their Personal Data collected and processed, as well as on any further processing thereof,
- right of access to their Personal Data,
- right to rectify inaccurate or incomplete Personal Data,
- right to deletion of their Personal Data,
- right to restrict processing,
- right to data portability in another organisation,
- right to object if permitted by law,
- right to lodge a complaint with the Personal Data Protection Authority (www.dpa.gr), which is the competent supervisory authority for the protection of the fundamental rights and freedoms of natural persons with regard to the processing of their Personal Data, if the data subjects consider that their rights are infringed in any way,
- right to withdraw their consent (the withdrawal of consent shall not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal).
The Research Infrastructure shall not conduct automated decision-making, including profiling.
Exercising of the aforementioned rights is done by submitting a written application to the Research Infrastructure. The Research Infrastructure reserves the right of reply within one month after receipt of the application.
Contact the Research Infrastructure
For any issue related to the processing of Personal Data and this Policy, please contact the Research Infrastructure.
E-mail: [email protected]
Contact with the Data Protection Authority of Personal Data
For more information and advice or to lodge a complaint, you can contact the Personal Data Protection Authority ( www.dpa.gr).
Postal Address: 1-3 Kifisias Ave., 115 23 Athens, Greece
Telephone: +30 210 6475600
Fax: +30 210 6475628
E-mail: [email protected]
Amendments to this Policy
Our goal is to review and update this Policy in order to comply with the requirements of applicable Personal Data protection legislation. Significant changes to this Policy may be notified by email.