FOODBIOMES has modern laboratories that are well equipped for the study of the food, human and animal microbiome, the implementation of in vivo studies on animal models and the design, organisation and coordination of clinical studies in humans.
In order to enhance the innovation capacity of the agri-food sector and the knowledge and skills of researchers and professionals from the academic and business sectors, FOODBIOMES’s modern laboratories and equipment are offered as a service to the research and business community for research and development activities.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR ACCESS TO THE FOODBIOMES INFRASTRUCTURE
The first call for applications to use selected FOODBIOMES infrastructures is now open for a limited number of seats at no charge and will remain open until seats are filled.
Users will be able to use the FOODBIOMES instruments and laboratories located in the Democritus University of Thrace, the Ionian University, the University of the Aegean or the University of Ioannina to perform experiments, conduct tests and analyses for training purposes and get to know the options FOODBIOMES has to offer its users.
The infrastructures may be used for a specific scope and period depending on the infrastructure from 1 June to 30 July 2023 and from 1 September to 20 September 2023.
Candidate users must apply for the use of the infrastructure depending on their scope of interest.
Candidate users should be able to demonstrate an appropriate level of education and training to use the infrastructures and perform their proposed subject, the objectives of use should be consistent with the research and scientific scope of FOODBIOMES and implementation of the proposed research should be feasible.
Requests will be evaluated by a special committee of FOODBIOMES after submission and candidate users will be informed within 10 working days whether their request has been approved or rejected.
Browse through the list of activities below to see what you can perform at FOODBIOMES facilities as well as the infrastructures offered, and follow the links for more information on the workshops and instruments you can use and any restrictions that may apply.
Please submit your application here.
FOODBIOMES is not obliged to justify its decision and there is no procedure for objecting to the results from the evaluation of the requests. FOODBIOMES may increase the number of users hosted, if appropriate.
What you can do at the FOODBIOMES facilities:
At the Democritus University of Thrace
- Isolation of lactic acid bacteria strains from fermented foods or other sources
- In vitro evaluation of functional properties or technological characteristics of novel lactic acid bacteria
- Development of freeze-dried starter cultures on a pilot scale
- Whole genome sequencing
- Prokaryotic and/or eukaryotic microbiome mapping
- Evaluation of the adhesion of probiotic strains to eukaryotic cells
At the University of the Aegean
- Design and organization of a clinical study-nutritional intervention to evaluate the bioactivity of innovative food products
- Design of bioprocesses for theatment and utilization of waste streams of the agro-industrial sector
At the University of Ioannina
- Qualitative and or quantitative or determination of compounds using liquid chromatography and various detectors
- Production of plant extracts/essential oils using green supercritical fluid extraction with carbon dioxide
- Isolation of components by fractionation via preparative liquid chromatography
- DNA extraction, amplification by PCR and purification for identification using sequencing techniques
At the Ionian University
- Food composition analysis
- Determination of food physical and mechanical properties
- Encapsulation of bioactive compounds and microorganisms
- Development and analysis of oleogels (structured lipids)
- Development and characterization of edible films